Maximizing Your GardenComm Membership
Members often wonder how to make the most of their GardenComm membership. Here are a few suggestions for how all members can benefit from GardenComm…
No matter what your goals are as a garden communicator, you’ll find GardenComm members who have “been there and done that” and are willing to share their expertise. Get advice about publishing, freelance writing, speaking, photography, TV/Radio, and marketing your work. Receive guidance about software, websites, blogging, social networking, or equipment. Gather information about contracts, billing, and selling your skills. Suggestions for how to connect to GardenComm member-mentors are below.
Develop a pipeline to the world.
GardenComm members are well connected. As you develop relationships with other members (aka networking) you will become linked to those who can help publicize your books, organizations, events, and talents. Often GardenComm members can turn “six degrees of separation” into “two or three steps to connection.”
Be horticulturally aware.
By being involved in GardenComm you’ll be the first to learn about new plants, products, and research. Additionally, if you attend the Annual Conference & Expo, you’ll see beautiful gardens in different parts of the U.S. and Canada, many of which are not open to the public.
Improve your skills.
From articles in our magazine, On the QT, to regional and national meetings, GardenComm offers many opportunities to improve writing, speaking, photography, and media skills.
Be pulled out of your rut.
Face it…we can all get really comfortable doing the-same-old-same-old. Yet, when you’re surrounded and supported by hundreds of innovative doers, it’s impossible not to be inspired and invigorated. Jumpstart your business, skills and creativity!
How Members can get started…
- Reach out in our members-only forum, Communities and start a conversation. Post about your goals as a garden communicator
and ask other members how to use GardenComm to accomplish those goals. Or ask specific questions about any aspect of growing your business. Note: This forum is perfect for those who
aren’t on Facebook but want to have virtual conversations and share information with other garden communicators.
- Contact your regional directors and let them know of your particular interests and goals. They can connect you with other members who are willing to have conversations about your objectives and answer questions. You can also learn more about how to get involved on GardenComm Committees and connected with other members.
- Form your own power circle or special interest group with other members. If you want group support and encouragement about a particular pursuit or topic, meet regularly with others who are of similar mind. Such meetings can be done via Zoom, Skype or through regular conversations on the Communities Forum. For more information about how power circles work, contact C.L. Fornari: email@example.com.
- Regional and connect meetings are a great way to meet in-person. These meetings, held across GardenComm’s seven geographical regions, feature exclusive tours of renowned gardens and horticulture facilities, insightful education to help you build your career and one-on-one networking with professionals from across the communications and horticultural spectrum.
- Attend the Annual Conference & Expo. The next conference will be held in Williamsburg, VA. Aug 30-Sept 3, 2021. Held in locations across the United States annually, the Annual Conference & Expo is jam-packed with gardens, education, plants, products and people. Most members will tell you that once they attend one conference, they find such a wealth of experiences and opportunities that they are determined to attend every year.